Monday, August 23, 2010

Crossing The Bar

I first came across this poem when LOLA LILING passed away.  Decades after, I am reminded of this poem as the family is faced with another departure

Crossing The Bar by Lord Alfred Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

It was 10:57 pm of  August 22, 2010 when I received the call.

We will miss you terribly, Uncle Bob. Thank you for all the good times ... for the witty remarks that made me laugh behind the scenes ... for taking good care of each one's health in the family, especially mine ... and for having stood in as my father during that pre-wedding "pamamanhikan" moment.

Have a safe journey.  Send my hugs and kisses to Dad, Lola Liling, Lolo Buddy and the rest of the gang :)

See right top black and white photo of my uncles and aunts at the prime of their lives.
Standing on the right are Uncle Bob and Dad (in black rimmed glasses).

***Dr. Roberto M. Zaide, September 13, 1936 to August 22, 2010.

Note to non-Filipino readers:  Lolo is grandfather.  Lola is grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails