Monday, January 31, 2011

Stranger Relatives

Believe it or not, a HUGE chunk of relatives from both my paternal and maternal sides remain unknown.  Pretty much a "stranger" sense of a relationship, clueless of any existing blood-affiliation.  Thus, if  paths do cross, both sides remain true to his role of being strangers. 

Despite my father's demise at an early age, I grew up surrounded by his side of the family.  With or without any special occasion, get-togethers often occur, thus, making me think that I practically know everyone and this is how far the family goes.  Apparently not. Stranger-relatives do exist.

I've had my share of embarrassing moments --something like being approached by strangers to inquire if by chance we were related. Oftentimes, I am stunned and left speechless.  My mind shouts loud, "Who the hell are you?".  But with a bit of background check, I had stumbled upon a magnificent discovery of long unknown relatives.  I frequently faced this query during my singlehood days since my maiden name has long been affiliated with Philippine History. Thanks to Lolo Greg for establishing this mark even if my siblings, cousins and I were bestowed with high expectations by our history/social studies/araling panlipunan professors. Absolutely a source of stress for someone who prefers beading more than history *haha.  Nevertheless, it has its advantages.

On the other hand, my maternal side of the family is a 100 times MORE than my father's side.  A huge clan spread around the Philippines and the whole wide world. My young Christmas eves were spent with the clan in a sprawling compound that can comfortably fit  everyone.  Unfortunately, this annual tradition ceased upon my Mom's departure for the U.S.  Since then, I lost touch.  It was  only five years ago, on my wedding day, when ties were once again rekindled. And for someone who has lost touch for a long time,  I thank God for reunions that make me discover and know more.

Yesterday was the 1st ever Jacinto clan reunion at Panciteria San Jacinto. Months of planning and preparation were spent to make this day truly meaningful.

Yes, I faced A LOT of stranger-relatives ... in green, orange, blue, purple.  I belonged to red.  I was a stranger to them too.

Me with my ancestors, a few of whom I have met.

The family tree that occupied the entire hallway.

Here's my part of the family tree.

Where the Jacintos originated, which I only found out yesterday.

Fun games to break the ice.  My mom in red, in-between the "stranger-relatives" in green.

Who the Jacintos are!  Clap! Clap!
 
Thanks to Tito Jun (Tito Ben and the rest of the committee) for bringing us all together and making me know that green, orange, blue, purple are not "strangers" at all. Not only did you bag the best engineer award, you're one great party organizer and host too :) Cheers! 'Til the next Annual Reunion ...






3 comments:

  1. Hi Trixie - nice post! Thank you for the write-up and pictures. Actually, my mom (in yellow) is in the 2nd picture, and my dad's familiar rear-end (LOL) is in the 5th. My Lola is to your bottom left in your picture by the big mural. So nice to her picture... It was taken at her 50th wedding anniversary in 1985.

    Hope to mee you someday soon!

    (Tito) Jimbo Reverente

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tito Jimbo. Thank you for your comment. Last Sunday's reunion turned out to be really meaningful, especially for someone like me who's been out of the Jacinto circulation for a long time. Though comments have been raised with regards to lack of inter-mingling amongst "colors", the reunion I believe served its purpose on educating MY GENERATION of our origins and lovely/handsome ancestors. This part of my Mom's side has been vague until our reunion happened. On the mingling side, I'm pretty sure this can be improved on and will prove to be easier in our next get-together since we have been refreshed/educated of our beautiful roots. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails